Friday, March 28, 2008

What A Day!

Today I got up early so I could get things moved and get my laundry done and continue to clean the apartment. Hired a taxi from the hotel in Mangaf to Eqaila or Agaila or Igaila. I have seen three different spellings so far. Got there and fixed the water leak on the washing machine water hookup and then started to do laundry. While that was going I started putting clothes away. Was proceeding good on the first load, got to the second load OK. On the third load while drying the first, I lost power in the apartment and in the laundry room. Must have popped a breaker. I got the Harish involved and he determined the main breaker for the apartment was bad. I don't know if he called an electrician or not. meanwhile I have a partially dry load of jeans, a wet load of polo shirts and an absolutely wet load of whites and no electricity. About that time my manager calls and says he is going to Sultan Center ( a big Grocery store) to get groceries. I needed to get some things as well so I decided to go with him. Picked up some freezer stuff and milk and some meats for lunches and dinner. Got back to the apartment but still no electricity. My co worker lives down the street from me so I borrowed some space in his freezer and fridge. Ramadan the Harish says the power will be on in half an hour, but Joe offers to let me use his dryer at his house. We get to Joe's and finish drying things. While we are waiting Joe tells me of a neighbor that is selling out for a move back to the states. I go over to take a look at things and end up buying a TV and stand, an iron and two space heaters for the winter time. Most houses in Kuwait do not have built in heaters and it does get down to freezing during the winter months. I picked up both for 23 kd, less than half the value because they are very hard to find when you really need one. The TV is a CRT type 20 inch. The person also had a 27 inch with stand for the same price but the stand was really damaged badly and the TV was just too large and bulky. I have really gotten spoiled with the Flat Screen LCD stateside. Got to figure out how and when I will be able to get the stuff from Mangaf to my place.
Finally got back to the hotel at about 7 pm.

Have A GREAT DAY!!

No comments: