Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Travel day



Kim is really sick today. A touch of flu or a serious cold. A good thing I stayed home. I took her to the urgent care center, where they gave her a bunch of prescriptions and a shot.

After that, I went back and re-arranged my suitcases so I only have 2 bags instead of 3. Saved $150 that way for the extra bag fee. Supposed to leave today at 5:59 pm. So far it looks like it will be on time.
We left the house at 4 pm for the airport. Sat around and drank some coffee with the girls and then again said my goodbyes. Got through security in time to run to the gate as they had announced last call. Flight was away at 5:59 pm. Go Figure!!

Got to NY-JFK. An adventure in itself. Walked about a mile it seemed to get from the plane to the terminal, then had to walk about another mile to get to the sky train that take you to Terminal 4 where Kuwait Airways is located. Time now to start freaking out. The place is packed wall to wall with people trying to get tickets, boarding passes checking luggage. Mine was checked through in Norfolk, so I did not have that hassle. To make all matters worse the computer system is down. The agents are having to issue all boarding passes by hand. So after waiting in a line for over an hour, I get to the counter and they cannot find me in the system. I presented my paperwork that said I was confirmed. so after another hour at the counter I finally got a boarding pass and was on the way to the gate area. No more problems there except I was past due on taking my meds and was getting a little shaky from lack of food and drink.
Finally they started to load the plane. I get seat 31 g, good its an isle seat. I get settled in call Kim on the cell. Attendant comes bye tells me to end my call so I do. 20 minutes later, they announce the ATC center system is down, and the flight is again delayed. so I call Kim back and we chat some more. I am now hoping I do not get someone sitting next to me. The configuration is 3 row X 3 seats ABC EFG IJK, Don't know what happened to seats D or H. I told Kim I know what the people in steerage felt like on the titanic.

No comments: