Thursday, March 6, 2008

Time is at hand

Today is the 6th of March. I leave the states on the 8th and begin "Mikes Big Adventure" in Kuwait. A little history first. I worked for Boeing for 19 years before being layed off December 2006. With nearly 40 years in Electronics and aerospace, I wasn't satisfied with working in call center suppport, which was the only employment I could find, and I was not making ends meet either.

I kept looking for employment though and in September 2007 I found out about the contract in Kuwait and applied. I went through the interview process and was made an offer I could not refuse. In theory, had everything gone as scheduled, I should have already been in Kuwait several months. But I had a medical snag which delayed my hire date by nearly two months.

So now I am only days away from getting on the plane. Its been a long time since I have traveled outside the US. I spent a year in Thailand in 1968- 1969 and then traveled around Europe in the early 1970's with the US Air Force. This time I will not be sitting in the cargo area of a C130.
Chatting with my brother tonight, he asked if I was nervous. Honestly, I am not nervous about relocating, but more nervous about leaving my children and grandchildren here, as well as my motorcycle. The Motorcycle pictured above is not my current bike, but that was me on my 1964 Harley "PanHead" taken about 1972. I currently ride a 2006 VT750C Honda.
My wife Kimberly will be relocating later after I get settled, possibly as early as April. Now she may not stay the entire time that I am there, that will be determined later if she can deal with the weather /climate and heat in the summer. She has said she wants to spend the summers stateside to be with the grand kids while school is out. So again we will see.

No comments: