Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Ramadan Kareem!

Assalamu Alikum

Well I have been back for over a week and we are in our second week of Ramadan. I find it very unusual that just about every business is closed during the fasting hours and then its business as usual with extended hours after the daily fast. In theory, Ramadan should only apply to muslims here in Kuwait, but it really applies to all. They have special police patrolling and looking for offenders, people who take a drink of water or eat or smoke in public.

I went into KWC to the Avenues mall last Thursday ( my last work day for the week ) to pay my internet service bill and then get a bite to eat when the food court opened at 6:30 pm. The ISP kiosk did not open until 8 pm. I arrived at the mall at 5:30 pm and had some grocery shopping to do at Carrefour, fortunately they were open. You can obviousely buy food for preparation, but not food ready to eat. Anyway, I got that shopping done, and then strolled around the mall, people watching while waiting, I stopped at a Starbucks across from the kiosk( after 6:30 ) and had an enjoyable time looking at the people in the mall. Most of the food service places opened at 6:30 but the majority of the businesses did not open until 8:00. I guess they make up for lost revenue by having the extended late night hours and then the places are bustling with activity once the businesses get opened.

I have found for myself that Ramadan is a great way to stay on a diet. Since a person is not allowed to eat or drink in public or in the presence of a Muslim during the fasting hours ( sunrise to sunset ), then I find it not difficult at all to not snack at work. In fact I may have lost some weight already, so I do not mind the fasting.

Tomorrow is my 60th birthday. WOO HOO! Recalling back to my 20's I never thought about being this age. I recall my dad being 60, and I never thought he was old. I think sometimes "I am too young to be this old".

Well everyone have a great day, Look for more as things happen.

Ma'assalama

TTYL

No comments: